Thursday, January 1, 2009

Did somebody say Led Zeppelin?

In a recent Rolling Stone issue, the writers took a joking try at pinning a new Led Zeppelin front man, after seeing that Robert Plant would not join up with the band if they were to take another stab at touring. I'm sure the writer was kidding, but I was absolutely appalled by some of his or her "decisions"--because I knew they might sound like good ideas to some people.

Amy Winehouse? T-Pain?!?!

Let's only hope they were joking.

I have some ideas as to who should replace Robert, but first, let me give another personal recommendation, about percussion: drop Little Bonham, pick up Dave Grohl.

Just check this out:


Next, my personal selections for lead singer?

Andrew Stockdale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97aj4xVT9wY

Apparently, they won't let me embed this one, but let me tell you: Wolfmother exudes pure hard rock energy. Sexy, heavy, wry, bluesy, trippy, angry--everything that made Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and AC/DC great is brought up anew in Wolfmother.

Steven Tyler:


Now, look over what I wrote about Andrew Stockdale. Bluesy, funny, heavy, blah blah blah; yeah, Steven's got it in spades. I won't deny him my recommendation; he's got talent as a singer (although admittedly, I cringe at the idea of him replacing Robert,) but as a showman, he's really fantastic. I know, I know, he's still in Aerosmith, but I read somewhere that Jimmy even rehearsed with the guy!

Bruce Dickinson:


Yeah, I know, he's still with Iron Maiden. Same problem as Steven. But while we're talking about vocal talent, let's not forget him, right? With the addition of being a great singer, he's also got a magnificent stage presence. That's important.

Ronnie James Dio:


I know, another metal guy who's got a current engagement, but listen to his voice! He's an absolutely soulful master. Keep yer tabs on this one--I'd love to see a Page/Jones/Grohl/Dio tour some day.

Jack Black:


Hey, why not? Don't let his sense of humor fool you; he's a purely kickass singer!

And finally:


I couldn't help it. This little guy is just so adorable.

UPDATE (2/14/09): Apparently, the Led Zeppelin tour is a no-go. Well, at least we won't have to worry about Robert being replaced.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! You are everywhere. and most definitely off your rocker!
I am pissed!
Without Robbert P....THERE IS NO LED ZEP!

Jonathan "Danger" Ospa said...

Wait...I'm everywhere? I'm off my rocker? Sorry, I hardly understand where any of that is coming from.

You may or may not have noticed somewhere in my post that I was satirizing the Rolling Stone article. This here is just some good ol' satire. Nobody could ever replace Robert. Without him, it would just be a tribute band. As much as I do love and respect the singers that I listed, I wouldn't want them to replace someone who's irreplaceable. That would simply be disastrous. Please don't take what I write the wrong way. I would hate for someone to think I was actually some sort of crazy idiot.